Old Head Golf Links is located on some of the most remarkable golfing land in the world!
With 300ft cliffs and a headland protruding 2 miles into the Atlantic ocean, Old Head Golf Links guarantees a dramatic day's golf.
The property was bought on a whim by brothers John & Patrick O'Connor in 1989. Over a number of years and with contributions from Eddie Hackett, Liam Higgins, Haulie o'Shea, Paddy Merrigan, Ron Kirby and Joe Carr, the Old Head Golf Links came to life- opening for play in 1997.
With a site like this, you need to bring:
- your camera, your waterproofs, a beanie, your 'A' game, and plenty of golf balls!
Old Head is clifftop rather than traditional links golf, with magnificent views, and utterly exposed to the elements.
Come prepared for wind, or rain or both, and you are sure to have a memorable day- no matter what the weather does..
Although Old Head Golf links is a members club, it has a very comfortable clubhouse with accommodation and meals available for a small number of green fee players- and with players coming in from all over the world it can be a real golfing meeting place.
Out on the course, the focus is firmly on the setting and the views, but there are some amazing golf holes, notably :
- holes 2, 3 & 4 which are the introduction to golf on the 300ft cliffs
- the par 3 seventh hole- this time with cliffs on the right
- the 'nutty good', 'all or nothing' par 5 twelfth hole
- the short par 3 thirteenth hole with ocean cliffs left
- the par 3 sixteenth with cliffs right and lighthouse in the background
- the loooong winding par 5 seventeenth hole with punchbowl green and lighthouse backdrop (see pic top of page)
From a golfing point of view the course has a number of nice, unremarkable inland holes. These holes offer a chance to regroup after the high octane golf on offer around the cliffs
You may struggle to recall those inland holes, but the clifftop holes will be forever imprinted in your golfing memory banks
It is the overall experience, the views, the setting, and those spectacular clifftop holes that you will remember...
Old Head Golf Links is a golfing experience that should not be missed.
We rate it a Travelling Golfer 'must play!'
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to Ireland to suit your group. For itinerary suggestions please see Destinations: Best of Ireland
For further information please enquire here: