Bernardus Golf & Memories is a new course designed by Kyle Philips which opened for play in 2018.
It will host the KLM Dutch Open from 2020 onwards for at least 3 years.
Without any significant elevation change through the property Philips has relied on some artful sculpting of the sand base to create a lovely heathland course.
The heather needs to mature but the bunkering and green complexes are first class and have a natural look.
One presumes the original landscape was dead flat, but the finished result has a rolling links feel without any signiifcant elavation change- that's impressive!
Despite the 'linksy' feel, the best holes involved water, and added that element of ‘will I, won’t I’ that makes a game more interesting...
Bernardus is a private members club, but currently allows a small number of visitors to become 'members for the day'
Notable holes include:
- hole 7, a beautifully bunkered par 5 which arcs around a lake
- hole 8, a picturesque par with water bunkers and green undulations all adding to the challenge
- hole 13, a lovely par 3 with exposed sand extending from tee to green
- hole 14, a short par 4 with burn running across in front of the green
- hole 17, another lovely par 3 that is all carry over water (see pic mid page)
- hole 18, an epic par 5 finishing hole with water and bunkers challenging on the right of the fairway and across in front of the green
Bernardus is a world class course with world class facilities. It will only get better as it matures over the next few years.
Now is the time to take any opportunities to play!
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to The Netherlands to suit your group.
For itinerary suggestions please see Destinations: The Netherlands
For further information please enquire here: