Le Touessrok GC (now known as Ile Aux Cerfs) is a 'drop dead gorgeous' golfing paradise, set on a small island off Mauritius' east coast.
The course was designed by Bernard Langer and opened in 2003.
Ile Aux Cerfs is possibly the most beautiful course in the world.
The island setting is 'sensory overload' for the golfer.
Your visit will start with a ferry ride to the island's jetty, followed by a short shuttle to the clubhouse.
It is easy to be overwhelmed by the lush course vegetation and surrounds- blue sky and ocean, tranquil white sandy beaches, palm trees, mangroves, black lava outcrops and tidal pools..
You are playing golf in a tropical paradise!
So how do you evaluate the course itself?
Ile Aux Cerfs is not particularly long- it measures 6469 metres off the back tees, 5979 off white and 5448 off yellow- but the fairways narrow strategically and there are blind spots..
Course knowledge here is invaluable.
I would have loved to have played the course again once or twice to get to know the lines of play.
It is quite a strategic course with a number of testing shots to take on if you are game.
First timers and Big bombers might have to rein in the driver and stay on the short grass to appreciate the strategic merit of Ile aux Cerfs..
I hope to return!
Notable holes include:
- hole 1, a wonderful start to the round- it's a shortish par 4 through a golfing wonderland of ponds, mature trees, rich and colourful vegetation, and requires a golfer to plot their way to the green..
- hole 2, a short dogleg par 4 through mature trees finishing with a green near the beach.
- hole 3, a par 3 with the green surrounded by water
- hole 5, a mid length par 4 with water in play for the journey
- hole 11, a long dogleg par 5 running parrrallel to the beach (see pic top of page)
- hole 18, a strong closing hole with a the tee shot needing to make a significant carry over a mangrove swamp, leaving a short iron to an elevated green
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For suggested destinations see: Golf Destinations- Mauritius
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: