Teven Valley Golf Course is located in a gorgeous small valley near Byron Bay in northern New South Wales.
The course was established privately in the mid 1970's and was affectionately known as 'Royal Teven'.
However a change of ownership sparked a rebuild in 2017 (new owner Curt Zuber came to fame as Westpac's treasurer).
Under the watchful eye of decorated professional golfer Craig Parry the course has been transformed.
With the addition of a brand spanking new clubhouse the course is now open for green fee play.
The nine hole course has a small footprint, but really packs a punch.
The course meanders through a delightful valley framed by tropical rainforest, playing around and over rocky creeks.
The green complexes are wonderful- firm and true and with ample movement which will test any golfer.
In fact I could spend ages just chipping and putting around any of these greens- they are endlessly engaging..
The playing surfaces are as good as it gets. At signiifcant cost the new ownership has introduced Zoysia turf throughout the course.
It's bright green colouring is stunning. The turf is so consistent it looks a little like artificial grass- and it plays as good as it looks
Craig Parry has also added a dash of innovation. The course can be played as nine par three's of varying lengths, but he has also added back tees on holes 2, 4, 6 & 8 which allow these holes to be played as short par four holes.
Golfers can play nine holes as a par 3 course, and then nine holes with a mix of 3's and 4's
It's a nice touch!
Notable holes include:
- hole 1, a spectacular long par 3 from an elevated tee to a green sitting below in a valley surrounded by rocky creek and thick vegetation. Welcome to Teven Valley!
- hole 2, a lovely short par 4 (or par 3 from the white tee) with a rocky creek running across in front of the green. The short approach must be accurate to hit and hold the firm contoured green
- hole 3, a short par with the same rocky creek fronting the green. The short iron tee shot needs to be spot on..
- hole 6, a 250 metre par 4 (or 151 metre par 3 from the white tee) with tee in the crook of the river which meanders along the left of the fairway eventually encroaching on the line to the pin
- hole 9, an uphill par 3 to one of the most severe greens you will ever come across
Teven Valley is a breath of fresh air for golfers wanting a different type of experience.
It is short and sporty, with sensational playing surfaces and green complexes that will test anybody's short game.
The alternate par 3 & par 4 tees on the same holes add to the variety.
We loved it
I believe golf needs more facilities like this. In these time poor days a golfer can whip around nine holes in no time.
And the fun factor is through the roof, without compromising the skills levels required to challenge the better golfer.
Any golfing trip to the Byron Bay area should include Teven Valley GC
Teven Valley is a "Travelling Golfer must play!"
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For suggested destinations see: Golf Destinations- Australia
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: