Hoiana Shores Golf Club was designed by Robert Trent Jones Jnr and opened for play in September 2019.
Located in sand dunes right on the coast near Danang in Vietnam, Trent Jones has engineered a modern day links course with firm playing surfaces and artistic, yet strategic bunkering and sandy waste areas.
Although the fairways are wide, the bunkering and waste areas push the player left and right, as they plot their way around what is a quite strategic course.
The big rolling greens are typical Trent Jones and are a highlight.
There are some really interesting pin positions engaging the golfer to make risk/reward decisions on the approach..
This course is made for the running ball, and those that can control they ball flight will enjoy taking on the sea breezes.
Hoiana Shores has been heralded as the best course in Vietnam- if not all of South East Asia
Notable holes include:
- hole 5 (Carry), a strong par 3 over a sandy waste bunker to a rumpled green
-hole 8 (Oasis), another demanding par 3 over sandy wasteland to a green with some interesting pin placements. It is a typical RTJ Jnr green with lots of movement
- hole 10 (Lang Chai), a beautifully bunkered par 5
- hole 12 (Sandy), a longer par 4 featuring a long carry over waste bunkers to a green with a clubhouse background
- hole 15 (Swallow's Nest), the tightest tee shot on the course sets up an approach to a green on the beach
- hole 16 (Cua Dai), a lovely par 4 along the beach
- hole 17 (Cham), a gorgeous uphill par 3 adjacent to the beach
Hoianna Shores also boast a delightful short par 3 19th hole to a near island green.
In my opinion Hoianna Shores has raised the bar in Vietnam- a country I really rate for high quality, world class golf.
I think Hoiana Shores is clearly the best course in Vietnam!
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to Vietnam to suit your group.
For itinerary suggestions please see Great Golf Destinations: Vietnam-The Golf Coast
See also The Jewels of Vietnam tour: The Jewels of Vietnam Escorted Golf Tour 2020. This tour can also be adapted for independant groups at any time.