PGA WEST is a remarkable golf resort & housing estate in Palm Springs, California.
The resort is home to 6 golf courses designed by some of the great names in golf:
PGA WEST- Arnold Palmer Private
PGA WEST- Greg Norman Resort
PGA WEST- Jack Nicklaus Private
PGA WEST- NIcklaus Tournament
PGA WEST- Stadium
PGA WEST- Tom Weiskopf Private
Members of the PGA WEST club get daily access to all 6 courses, while the public can access the Stadium, Nicklaus Tournament & Greg Norman Resort courses
PGA WEST- Nicklaus Tournament
The Nicklaus Tournament course opened in 1987 and is well known to golfers world wide as it hosted a number of events over the years which were televised.
Most notably it co hosted the Bob Hope Classic (now called the Career Builder Challenge), and prior to that the PGA Grand Slam of Golf in 1992 & 93. It continues to be the bi annual host to the final round of the PGA tours Q school.
The course is somewhat forgiving off the tee, with difficult approaches protected by sand and water.
Although the Tournament course is a little overshadowed by the more famous Stadium course, they have a lot of similarities.
And like the Stadium course it is the water holes that stay in the memory banks.
Notable holes include:
- hole 5, a short par 4 with bunkers to carry off the tee and for the approach
- hole 8, an all water carry par 3 (see pic at top of page)
- hole 9, a longish par 4 with water to carry on the approach (see pic mid page)
- hole 12, a mid length par 3 with both water and bunkers to carry to reach the green
- hole 15, an island green makes this a most interesting par 5
- hole 18, a long par 4 with bunkers and water threatening the length of the hole
PGA WEST- Nicklaus Tournament Course should be a mainstay of any golf trip to Palm Springs. Don't miss it!
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to Palm Springs to suit your group. For itinerary suggestions please see Destinations: USA: Palm Springs
For further information please enquire here: