Torquay Golf Club dates from 1920.
Located right on the coast on the Jan Juc side of Torquay, the links like golf course occupies an interesting site.
The back nine is quite hilly, while the front nine travels through largely flat marshland interspersed with some nice holes that touch the dunes.
And Spring Creek winds through the site impacting the first and eighth holes..
At 5136 metres Torquay is not a long course, but with firm playing surfaces and the ever present wind it will challenge all golfers
In 2009 RACV acquired the site and employed architects OCCM to redesign the golf course.
The RACV development included a five story resort and car park which significantly impacted the back nine of the golf course.
It is an impressive building with quality accommodation, dining and resort facilities.
The changes to the golf course centred on the back nine where the redesign worked with signiificantly less land
Torquay is not a complicated course and has simple greens and small bunkers
Notable holes include:
- hole 1, a lovely par 5 opener with water left and short of the green (see pic top of page)
- hole 3, a pretty par 3 protected by water short, left & right
- hole 7, a strong par 3 in the dunes and ti tree
- hole 8, a dogleg par 4 with marshland protecting the inside of the dogleg
- hole 12, a skyline par 3 over water
- hole 16, a par 4 with water right
- hole 17, a short downhill par 3 in the dunesland- it is the best hole on the course
The RACV buyout changed Torquay GC significantly.
The back nine is now somewhat compromised for space and drags the chain a little- but the short seventeenth hole is a beauty, and the water holes at twelve and sixteen maintain your interest.
The front nine is largely unchanged from years gone by.
The terrain is flat- moving back & forth from marshland to the edge of the dunes and back.
It has a lovely holiday golf feel and is most enjoyable.
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For suggested destinations see The Bellarine Peninsula & The Great Ocean Road.
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: