Harry Colt came to Portrush to redesign the Dunluce course in 1932, and went on to design the Valley course three years later.
More recently Martin Ebert came to Portrush to prepare the Dunluce course for the 2019 Open Championship
In doing so he incorporated some of the rolling terrain from the Valley course into the Dunluce.
He redesigned the Valley adding four new holes and giving the course an overall upgrade.
The Valley occupies a beautiful stretch of low lying dunes and sandhills.
It is situated between the big dunes of the Dunluce course and the primal dunes by the beach.
The land is perfect for links golf, and is an easy walk.
The course will test the better golfer requiring accuracy off the tee, but will reward the thinking golfer.
The longer handicapper will also be able to manage his game and enjoy the course.
Remarkably there are only 18 bunkers on the course!
The bumps and hollows, and twists and turns in fairways, surrounded by gnarly rough negate the need for sand.
Indeed you may not realise the dearth of fairway bunkering at all..
The greens are generally small and contoured to repel the wayward approach.
Notable holes include:
- hole 3 (Fairy Ring), a pretty downhill par 3 surrounded by dunes
- hole 8 (Switchback), a rollicking par 5 through some undulating territory- the key is to place the ball safely with the blind second shot to open up a shot at the green
- hole 9 (Mann's), a delightful short par 3 to a smallish green well protected by bunkers
- hole 15 (Bunker's Hill), one of the 4 new holes. The undulating green is well protected by bunkers and demands an accurate long iron or hybrid.
- hole 18 (Home), a short par 4 from a tee overlooking the beach. Accuracy rather length is required to find the fairway.
The Valley Course is a delight to play.
It is a quality course and true links golf.
Travelling Golfers making the pilgrimage to play the mighty Dunluce Course should not miss the chance to play the Valley.
It is the ideal entree to famous main course!
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: