Located just a short drive from Waikiki Beach, Ko'olau Golf Club is a must play golf experience for all Travelling Golfers.
Designed by Dick Nugent in spectacular terrain, the course opened for play in 1992
Your first stop will be the spacious clubhouse (and conference rooms), which are shared with the local church who is the landowner.
It's an unusual arrangement, but it works
Due to it's location in the mountains the course is subject to more than it's share of rainfall, and the course can get a tad damp at times.
It is routed through a tropical jungle and has significant elevation changes throughout.
With long carries off some tees, and tight fairways framed by completely unplayable jungle rough, Ko'olau is not for the faint hearted
Nevertheless it is a rollicking, and at times wild ride through what I consider to be the Jurassic Park of golf
While these holes can beat you up, they can also provide you a roller coaster ride of exciting, fascinating golf
I loved it
Notable holes include:
- the dogleg par 4 third hole
- the turning twisting dropping par 4 tenth hole with green tucked around the corner and well below the fairway level and set in it’s own dell
- the par 3 thirteenth
- the short par 4 fourteenth hole
- the par fifteenth with epic mountain backdrop (see pic top of page)
- the majestic twisting par 5 sixteenth with pond protecting the green ( see pic mid page)
- the rolling final hole- a par 4 with significant carries off the tee and for the approach, and a lovely green setting across the creek from the clubhouse
Ko'olau can sometime present poorly with maintenance levels affected by the high rainfall, and heavy cloud cover
The course itself can be unforgiving and unrelenting, and you will probably lose balls- but it is an unforgettable experience, and one you will likely want to repeat.
You won't ever forget Ko'olau GC!
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to Hawaii to suit your group. For itinerary suggestions see Destinations: Hawaii- Golf on Oahu
For further information please enquire here: