Kidjaberg GC is located coveniently close to Iceland's famous Golden Circle in southern Iceland
The area has some historical significance with an ancient settlement dating back to the Norse colonisation of Iceland in the 9th century
The golf course evolved over a period starting in 1989 with local members contributing to the design.
Nine holes were open for play by 1993, and this was extended to an 18 hole course in 2005
Kidjaberg GC is routed through some impressive undulating terrain with extensive river frontage to the river Hvita (The White River).
This is never so obvious as when standing on the 14th tee with the rapids and white water just metres away.
The beauty of the site and the noise level can make it hard to concentrate on the tee shot!
Kidjaberg has done a grand job with their tee signs. With so much elevation change through the course, and some blind shots, it is very useful to be given a map of the hole with details of how to play on each tee!
It is a wonder more courses do not offer something similar..
With such beautiful surrounds a game of golf at Kidjaberg is always going to be memorable. The course itself is not overly long, but can be challenging. The green complexes and bunkering are relatively simple but nicely maintained.
Sightseeing in The Golden Circle
Visitors to the Golden Circle must visit Stokkur geyser, Gullfoss waterfall, Kerid volcanic crater, and Pingvellir National Park- but for golfers a visit to Kidjaberg GC might be just be the highlight of their day!
Notable holes include:
- hole 1- the round opens with a par 5 which is quite a journey- from elevated tees to the valley below and then back up again to a green angled to the right on top of the hill
- hole 6- a short par 4 across the side of a hill, this is an outstanding hole
- hole 7- a dropshot downhill par 3 with the glorious White River as a background
- hole 14- one of the most dramatic tee shots you can imagine with the White River rapids at close quarters
- hole 15- a wonderful uphill par 4 with another dramatic tee shot from an elevated tee, and a fairway winding up along above the river clifftops
Golfers heading to Iceland should pencil in golf at Kidjaberg as a mainstay to any tour of The Golden Circle
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to Iceland to suit your group. For itinerary suggestions see Destinations: Iceland
For further information please enquire here: