The Bluffs course at Arcadia Bluffs GC is located right on the Lake Michigan shoreline in Michigan State
The golf course was designed by Warren Henderson & Rick Smith and opened for play in 2000
Originally the land was heavily treed, but sand based
Henderson & Smith stripped back the foliage giving them a giant sandbox to play in. The resulting course at Arcadia Bluffs plays fast and firm like a links course .
The designers moved a lot of sand/dirt to create a modern day links
It is hard to put your finger on the reasons- but it does not quite feel like a bona fide links course
But it is a good course, and is definitely fun to play
We played in light winds on a beautiful sunny day and it was a delightful experience- however I can well imagine how windy days would change perspectives.
A number of the fairways tighten right up and the rough can be unforgiving.
Get it on the wrong day and Arcadia Bluffs would beat you up
There are some world class holes- holes with spectacular lake vistas, and holes which require you to both plot your progress and be able to execute to succeed
Notable holes include:
- hole 5, an imposing par five with lake backdrop (see pic top of page)
- hole 10, a strong par 4 that tightens as it goes
- hole 11, a par 5 which snakes downhill through the dunes to a green with a lake backdrop
- hole 12, a strong par right along the clifftop
- hole 13, a long par 3 along the cliffs and over a chasm
- hole 15, an uphill par 5
- hole 16, a long downhill par 4 with idyllic backdrop
- hole 17, a strong uphill par 3
- hole 18, a long, strong uphill par 4 closer
Arcadia Bluffs is a quality course in a beautful setting.
Although at times the dunescape can look a little man made, the course is well designed, fun to play and will have you running for the camera throughout the round
The Travelling Golfer offers golf tours to the USA
We can tailor a trip to suit your group.
For suggested itineraries see: Destinations: USA
Please enquire here: