There had been a modest 9 hole links at Waterville from 1889, but the course ceased trading in the 1950’s.
Irish American Jack Mulcahy bought the links in the late 1960’s and employed Masters champion Claude Harmon and Irish architect Eddie Hackett to design a new course.
The new course at Waterville opened in 1973, to universal acclaim.
In 2006 Tom Fazio was engaged to upgrade the Waterville experience.
Fazio made better use of the amazing background landscape at Waterville, making the links even more spectacular.
Waterville is located on a sandy promontory surrounded by sea.
The back nine in particular interacts with both the sea and big dunes to provide a links golf experience ‘par excellence’.
While the front nine travels through slightly flatter linksland there is nice variety in the holes, some of which are absolutely world class
The big finish up holes 16, 17 & 18 with the beach on the right is truly memorable
Notable holes include:
- hole 2 (Christy's Choice), the hardest hole on the course! It's a long par 4 well protected by bunkers both sides and a green abutting the water.
- hole 3 (Sanctuary), is another long par 4. It is a left to right shaped hole protected by water right for the journey. It is a little intimidating!
- hole 4 (Dunes), is a gorgeous par 3 tucked in the dunes
- hole 12 (Mass Hole), a dramatic par 3 over a dip to a plateau green
- hole 16 (Liam's Ace), is a draw shot hole with a tricky elevated green. The hole is flanked by the beach right- the visuals are spectacular! (see pic top of page)
- hole 17 (Mulcahy's Peak), is a testing par 3. Panoramic views from the back tees and a tee shot exposed to the elements make it a memorable hole.
Waterville is one of the classic Irish links.
The course has a heady combination of pure links holes playing through the dunes, and spectacular ocean views.
Waterville should feature in all of the bucket list trips playing the Best of Irish Links
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: