Golf d’Hardelot is home to two famous courses on the French coast- Les Pins (The Pines), and Les Dunes (The Dunes).
Les Pins was designed by Tom Simpson and opened for play in 1931.
More recently (2016), Frank Post and Patric Boissonnas took great care in restoring the course- their effort has been called “one of the most successful renovation programmes ever seen in Continental Europe”
Les Pins is routed through mature pine trees and dunes- an appealing combination for a golf course.
It is a course that generally rewards the thinking golfer, and/or someone who can play reasonably straight.
Many a hole is framed by pine trees and bunkers, demanding accuracy at the expense of length.
The rolling sandy terrain is perfect for golf, and reminscent of the classic English heathland courses.
It's fun to play, and just an attractive setting for golf.
Some of the shorter holes in particular are absolutely world class- in particular the par 3’s at hole 5 & 7, and the short par 4’s at 8, 11 & 15.
Notable holes include:
- hole 5, a gorgeous downhill short par 3 with the green surrounded by bunkers
-hole 7, another delightful par 3, this time uphill to a green stoutly defended by large impressively shaped bunkers
- hole 8, a short par 4 with a blind tee shot through a chute of pine trees and over sand. The short iron approach to a raised green must be precise
- hole 9, a mid length par 4 and the hardest hole on the course. Players must make a decision on the tee as to how much of a carry over the fairway bunkers they take on. It's classic risk & reward- the shorter the carry off the tee, the harder the angle to the green
- hole 11, a short dogleg par 4 with a green high in the dune amply protected by the massive pine trees framing the hole.
- hole 15, a mid length dog leg par 4 where the gap in the pine trees and the strategically placed fairway bunkering are asking the player questions- do they take on the trees or go longer and wider?
Les Pins is a course true Travelling Golfers will not want to miss!
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For suggested destinations see: Golf Destinations- France
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: