Originally known as The Sydney Golf Club, Concord's origin dates from1899.
Over time the club evolved into two clubs- Royal Sydney (in Rose Bay), and Concord.
The current site for Concord started as a 9 hole course and graduated to an eighteen hole course under the guidance of Dan Soutar.
In 1996 the club undertook a major renovation under the guidance of Ross Watson.
In more recent times the club engaged golf architect Tom Doak to upgrade the course.
Over the years the club has hosted many tournaments- including the Australian PGA, Australian Women's Open, and NSW Open.
Notably winners include: Greg Norman, Ian Baker Finch, Laura Davies and Wayne Grady
Concord is a classy parkland course with gum trees framing immaculate kikuyu fairways.
With a majestic old clubhouse looking down over the course, it is indeed an impressive setting.
It is not a particularly long course, but plays longer with the kikuyu limiting roll.
The bunkering throughout the course is both strategic and dramatic and defines the look of the course.
But it is the green contouring that will the most significant impact on scoring.
I thought the greens were super fun, but they are firm and rolling- so the occasional pin placement on a knoll can create havoc for the uneducated..
Notable holes include:
- hole 3, a midlength par 4 with a burn in play at driving distance
- hole 4, a pretty well bunkered par 3
- hole 6, a longer par with trouble right (see pic top of page)
- hole 8, a straightaway par 5 with the green protected by a burn short and left of the green
- hole 12, a longer par 4 to the largest green on the course which is protected by two deep greenside bunkers
- hole 13, a short driveable par 4 with a devilish horseshoe shaped green
- hole 14, the shortest par on the course, with a severely undulating green
- hole 17, a long par 4 rated the hardest hole on the course
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For suggested destinations see: Golf Destinations- New South Wales
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: