Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club is a public access course in suburban Canberra.
The course and clubhouse are owned by hospitality company Ainslie Group and opened for play in 1996.
It was designed by Ted Parslow and Jamie Dawson
Dawson later returned to add bunkers and generally upgrade tees, paths and general landscaping.
In the early days the course conditioning was holding it back, but this is no longer the case.
The owners have continued their investment in the course, and added an impressive clubhouse overlooking proceedings.
As a result of their investment (& COVID) membership numbers are strong.
The course is not long- 6119 metres off the back tees- but makes up for the lack of length by challenging the golfer in different ways.
The tree lined fairways demand accuracy off the tee, and the combination of strategically placed bunkers and water hazards maintain the pressure to position your ball throughout.
The water holes at Gungahlin Lakes are the most memorable- holes 2, 3, 13, 14 & 16 are standouts.
And the short par 4's at holes 2 & 14 are world class.
Notable holes include:
- hole 2, a magnificent short par 4 with options off the tee
- hole 3, a pretty water carry par 3
- hole 10, another short par with a tight tee shot, followed by an approach with water and bunkers in play (see pic mid page)
- hole 13, a lovely looking par 5 with water in play
- hole 14, a nerve tingling short par 4 in front of the clubhouse with water everywhere off the tee
- hole 16, perhaps 'the signature hole'. A lovely par 5 with a tight tree lined fairway to negotiate off the tee, and a daunting diagonal approach over water to the green.
Gungahlin Lakes is a worthy addition to the golfing landscape of our nation's capital.
There is so much to see and do around Canberra, so it makes a very good destination for a golf trip.
Any such trip should include Gungahlin Lakes.
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For suggested destinations see: Golf Destinations- Australia
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: