Black Bull GC is located on Lake Mulwala, 3 hours north of Melbourne
It is on the Victorian side of the border near Yarrawonga (which also has a terrific golfing facility).
Black Bull GC was conceived as part of the Silverwoods Golf & Lifestyle Resort.
The former Black Angus Stud Farm is now a golf course surrounded by housing.
Renowned architects Thomson & Perrett designed the course which opened in 2015.
I have always found Peter Thomson courses to be a little penal in places, but that is not the case at Black Bull.
Perhaps it is because it was designed for public access, or perhaps it was the influence of leading man, Justin Trott
For whatever reason Black Bull is definitely a little more forgiving than some other Thomson courses.
They got the balance just right on this one!
Off the appropriate tee it is eminently playable, and fun.
The large greens and bunker complexes are a feature.
Natural watercourses surround many of the holes, but rarely is the golfer forced to carry over the water.
Black Bull promotes a trio of holes at 4, 5 & 6 as their equivalent of 'Amen Corner'
Collectively these holes are known as 'The Bull Ring'.
They are three good holes- all with water hazards very much in play.
Notable holes include:
- hole 4, a challenging par 3 over water (see pic top of page)
- hole 5, a shorter par 4 with water right of the fairway
- hole 6, a longer par 4 with water eating into the fairway right and bunkers squeezing the fairway on the approach
- hole 7, a par 5 with both water and fairway bunkers challenging the golfer
- hole 9, a beautifully bunkered short par 4
- hole 11, a longer par 4 framed by impressive gum trees
- hole 16, a pretty water carry par 3
- hole 17, another short par 4 with hazard to carry off the tee and water down the length of the left side of the fairway
- hole 18, a closing par 5 with water left of the fairway and behind the green
Black Bull is just a lovely place to play golf.
It's an easy drive from Melbourne, and with the Sebel hotel on site it is a nice place to play and stay.
It's a perfect weekend destination on it's own, or as a starter for more golf along the Murray..
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: