Chechessee Creek Club is located on Callawassie Island in South Carolina
The course was designed by Coore & Crenshaw and opened for play in 2000
In 2016 we had the opportunity to stay and play at Chechessee and jumped at the opportunity
It is a private club and has accommodation and dining facilities for members on site
It was a lovely place to stay- we were very well looked after by the team at Chechessee
The course is interesting.
It is built on a heavily treed tract of land adjacent to the lowlands and marsh and has very little elevation change through the property
But Mr Coore and Mr Crenshaw have done a good job of it, producing a very nice course
With flat fairways framed by trees and raised greens there is a certain sameness to holes, but the more you play it the more you realise how good the green complexes and bunkering are
It's a course that will grow on you with repeat plays
Notable holes include:
- the short par 4 third hole with bunkers both sides for the tee shot and a small bunkerless green
- the par 3 seventh hole, a picturesque, heavily bunkered hole. Make sure you are up!
- the short par 4 twelfth hole requires a decent carry over the marshland off the tee- it's a pretty hole and requires an accurate approach
- the par 3 thirteenth hole is the shortest of the one shotters and another polaroid moment (see pic top of page)
- the short par 4 seventeenth hole with marshy hazard on the inside of the dogleg
Chechessee Creek Club is a lovely place to stay & play, so If a member invites you- jump at the opportunity
And the proshop is good too- I actually found several items that would fit me- and bought up big!
The Travelling Golfer offers golf tours to the USA
We can tailor a trip to suit your group.
For suggested itineraries see: Destinations: USA
Please enquire here: