Sunriver Resort is located near Bend in Oregon, and has four distinctively different courses designed by well known architects- all in the one location.
The Resort caters for a number of different sporting activities other than golf, and includes extensive walking and bike riding trails
The Crosswater course opened in 1995 and was designed by Bob Cupp and John Fought whose brief it was to produce a course of some note, capable of hosting tournaments and becoming a major attraction for the resort.
Surrounded by vistas of snow capped mountains Crosswater is set in a high desert meadow environment.
The course negotiates wetlands and a number of crossings of the Deschutes River, and winds through a forest of Ponderosa and Lodgepine trees.
The course is also a wildlife habitat, and a member of the Audubon Sanctuary Program.
Off the back markers the course measures 7700 yards, and with river carries on many holes it can be a beast.
But from the regular tees the water is not directly in play as much and the length is not a problem.
However it can still punish the wayward ball, and balls will be lost!
Notable holes include:
- the short par 4 fifth hole around the river- pick your line and commit!
- the longish par 4 ninth hole. The river is in play all the way down the right hand side of the hole and must be carried off the tee (see pic top of page)
- the signature hole at Crosswater is the par 5 twelfth hole, an imposing semi circle of a hole which arcs around the river to a green tucked out of sight. With snow capped mountains as a focal point in the background, river in play on the left, and forest and bunkers on the right- it is both challenging and picturesque ( see pic mid page)
- the par 3 thirteenth hole with tee shot over the wetlands
- the final hole is a par 4 with a diagonal river crossing in front of the green. It's a nice finish
Crosswater can be unforgiving, and a bad day here could mean many lost balls.
But it can also be exhilarating golf in a majestic setting.
I loved it!
No golf trip to Oregon should miss Crosswater- just remember to bring your A game (or lots of balls)
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to Central Oregon to suit your group.
For itinerary suggestions see Destinations: Central Oregon, USA
For further information please enquire here: