Sunriver Resort is located near Bend in Oregon, and has four distinctively different courses designed by well known architects- all in the one location.
The Resort caters for a number of different sporting activities other than golf, and includes extensive walking and bike riding trails
The Crosswater course was designed by Bob Cupp and John Fought and opened in 199? whose brief it was to produce a course of some note, capable of hosting tournaments and becoming a major attraction for the resort.
Surrounded by vistas of snow capped mountains Crosswater is set in a high desert meadow environment and the course negotiates wetlands, numerous crossings of the Deschutes River, all the while winding through a forest of Ponderosa and Lodgepine trees.
The courses is also a wildlife habitat, and is a member of the Audubon sanctuary Program.
Off the back markers the course measures 7700 yards, and with river carries on many holes it can be a beast.
But from the regular tees the water is not directly in play as much and the length is not a problem.
It can still punish the wayward ball, though, and balls will be lost.
Notable holes include:
- the short par 4 fifth hole around the river- pick the line off the tee and commit!
- the longish par 4 ninth hole with river in play the entire right side of the hole and of course a river carry off the tee
- the signature hole at Crosswater is the par 5 twelfth hole, a delicious semi circle of a hole which follows the river around to the left to a green tucked out of sight. With snow capped mountains as a focal point in the background, river in play on the left and forest and bunkers on the right- it is visual delight with plenty of challenges along the journey.
- the par 3 thirteenth hole with carry over the wetlands
- the final hole is a par 4 with diagonal river crossing in front of the green. It’s a nice finish
Crosswater can be unforgiving, and a bad day here could mean many lost balls.
But it can also be exhilarating golf in a majestic setting. I loved it
No golf trip to Oregon should miss Crosswater- just remember to bring your A game (or lots of balls)
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to Central Oregon to suit your group. For itinerary suggestions see Destinations: Central Oregon, USA
For further information please enquire here: