Harry Colt is one of the great golf course architects.
His work around the world- particularly in the famous London Heathlands-is legendary.
And here in the heart of The Netherlands we came to play a course designed by Colt on land that is as good as anything in London.
Ultrecht Golf Club 'de Pan' was founded in 1894 and is the second oldest club in The Netherlands.
Harry Colt unveiled the current layout in 1929.
For the modern day golfer the course is a throwback in time- it looks like it may not have changed much since it’s opening in 1929 (although Martin Hawtree apparently undertook a renovation 20 or more years ago).
With holes framed by thick forest 'de Pan' is not ideally suited to spectators.
Neither is the course as long as usually required for tournament golf in the modern era.
Nevertheless 'de Pan' has hosted the KLM Dutch Open 3 times, and gained international exposure in 1967 as host to an edition of 'Shells Wonderful World of Golf' which was televised to a world wide audience.
With an undulating sand base and magnificent thick forest of mature trees, de Pan offers a succession of golf holes that demand the golfer think their way around rather than launch into big drives.
It’s not flashy, long or overly demanding.
It does however require some thought on length of tee shot, and angle of attack.
Ultrecht Golf Club de Pan is one of the most impressive old courses I have played.
It is playable by all standards of player, yet challenging for all at the same time.
Isn't that what we all want from our golf?- a course that is strategic, fun, interesting, playable by different types of player and those of different abilities.
Ultrecht de Pan is old world, but it could well be a blueprint the future of golf- it’s that good…
Notable holes include:
- hole 3, a delightful par 3 set in it’s dell
- hole 5, a winding par 5 that requires a very accurate 2nd shot to avoid a large tree and rough and leave a shot to the green tucked around the corner
- hole 6 is a strong par 4, rated hardest on the course, where accuracy and strategy is rewarded
- hole 7, a classic short par 4
- hole 10, another wonderful short par 4 where placement is all important (see pic top of page)
- hole 11, an adventurous par 5
- hole 15, a world class par 3
- hole 17, another wonderful short par 4 where placement is all important
Ultrecht Golf Club 'de Pan' has instantly become one of my favourite courses around the world, and I intend to return at the next opportunity.
We rate 'de Pan' as a "Travelling Golfer must play!"
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to The Netherlands to suit your group.
For itinerary suggestions please see Destinations: The Netherlands
For further information please enquire here: