PGA WEST is a remarkable golf resort & housing estate in Palm Springs, California.
The resort is home to 6 golf courses designed by some of the great names in golf:
PGA WEST- Arnold Palmer Private
PGA WEST- Greg Norman Resort
PGA WEST- Jack Nicklaus Private
PGA WEST- NIcklaus Tournament
PGA WEST- Stadium
PGA WEST- Tom Weiskopf Private
Members of the PGA WEST club get daily access to all 6 courses, while the public can access the Stadium, Nicklaus Tournament & Greg Norman Resort courses
PGA WEST- Greg Norman Resort Course
The Greg Norman Resort Course has a different look and feel to the other PGA WEST courses- Norman draws on Melbourne Sandbelt influences to sculpt a course with bunkers dominant, and a more linksy feel.
Originally the course was considered too hard for the punters, but since the renovation a few years back, the softened course has blossomed.
There are vast expanses of sand to negiotate- it really does feel like a desert course.
But, while it is still challenging it is eminently playable for all standard of player
Whereas the Stadium & Nicklaus Tournament courses demand precise, well flighted approaches to carry water and bunkers- often to raised greens (target golf)- the Norman course has greens that allow the ball to bounce in where necessary.
This contrast in styles complements the Stadium & Nicklaus courses nicely
Notable holes include:
- hole 1, an interesting par 4 to set the tone- water and bunkers off the tee, and a fairway that narrows as it goes, then widens nearer the green
- hole 7, a pretty par 3 with water in play
- hole 9, a short par 4 with water and bunkers challenging the tee shot, and a wide shallow green
- hole 11, a nicely bunkered par 4 with an Australian Sandbelt feel (see pic mid page)
- hole 16, a challenging par 5 that bends around water
- hole 17, another picturesque par 3 with water, bunkers and desert landscape combining beautifully (see pic top of page)
- hole 18, a strong par 4: a typical Norman finish!
Since the renovations a few years ago, the Norman course has become a favourite of the locals. It flies under the radar a little compared to it's illustrious neighbours, but offers a nice contrast to them and will be a feature of Travelling Golfer trips to Palm Springs
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to Palm Springs to suit your group. For itinerary suggestions please see Destinations: USA: Palm Springs
For further information please enquire here: