Murwillumbah is located on the edge of the hinterland a little inland of Byron Bay on the north coast of New South Wales
The course opened in November 1959 with 9 holes designed by Fred Ashby who was the Professional at Toowoomba's Middle Range Golf Club.
Golf Architect, Al Howard designed a further 9 holes and the official opening of the 18 hole course was in August 1962.
Richard Chamberlain's Course Improvement Plan has been used as a guide by Course Superintendent, Brian Cox for all of the upgrading of the course since 2012.
Murwillumbah Golf Course is set in rolling terrain perfect for golf, with views of the Rous River and Mount Warning National Park an impressive backdrop.
Like many of the courses in northern NSW, the clubhouse was constructed on a hill in the middle of the site (it does rain a lot around here)
Consequently the first and tenth tees , and the 9th and 18th greens are on high ground. The rest of the course winds around the site without too much elevation change.
The fairways are framed by large trees- some of which are indigenous to the area, but many of which are not- and the autumn colours were out in full bloom at the time we visited
It is not a long course, but plays it's full length.
Accuracy is rewarded here as the fairways are narrow in places.
No two holes are alike. The first time player is constantly wondering what to expect when they step on a tee box- and are usually pleasantly surprised!
It is an easy and most enjoyable walk.
Murwillumbah is a course I would happily play on repeat
Notable holes include:
- hole 1, a delightful opening par 4 from an elevated tee requiring two accurate shots
- hole 2, a mid length par 3 well protected by bunkering across the front left of the green
- hole 5, a longish par 5 with a raised green that is quite challenging to hit (see pic top of page)
- hole 10, a classy par 3 with a world class backdrop (see pic mid page)
- hole 12, a pictureque and challenging longer par 4
- hole 13, a short par 4 to a green with canefield left and water right
- hole 15, a super tight par 4 which requires accuracy off the tee
- hole 17, a lovely par running parallel to the Rous River
Murwillumbah is a delight to play, and is my favourite of the courses in the Byron Bay area.
It is nicely maintained, looks great and will test your abiility to position your ball off the tee.
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For suggested destinations see: Golf Destinations- Australia
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: