Le Chateau course at The Heritage was designed by South African architect Peter Matkovich and opened for play in 2004
Le Chateau hosted the Mauritius Open in 2015, 2017 & 2019.
The Le Chateau course is part of a world class Heritage Resort right on the beach in south west Mauritius.
It is a beautifully manicured resort style course that caters for both the general public and plays host to the biggest professional tournament on the island.
Routed through a tropical garden interspersed with rivers and lakes, the wide fairways and big greens are ideal for resort golf.
But off the back tees the water prevalent throughout the course can challenge even the best..
There are some world class holes- the par 5 seventh hole with water left and a burn in front of the green is memorable, but perhaps the final hole is the best.
The 525 metre finishing hole arcs around a lake to a green in danger of slipping right into the water!
A day spent playing Le Chateau, then wining and dining at Heritage Telfair on the beach is something rather special..
Notable holes include:
- hole 4, the hardest hole on the course, asks for a long tee shot to a wide fairway- but the approach to the elevated green is protected by slope and a collection a large lava rocks.
- hole 6, a mid length par 4 with a roly poly fairway, and a picturesque green framed by trees and bunkers
- hole 7, a demanding par 5 with a tee shot over swamp grasses and blind over a hill, to a green with a lake left and a burn in front
- hole 8, a longer downhill par 3 to a raised green in a picture book setting
- hole 9, a short par 4 with water both sides of the fairway
- hole 13, an attractive mid length par 3 with a significant water carry off the tee jangling the nerves..
- hole 18, a long, strong closing par 5 with an elevated tee shot and a fairway that arcs around a lake to a waterside green..(see pic top of page)
With the opening of the Links course in late 2023, The Heritage resort will become an even more impressive getaway.
It is a must for all Mauritian golfing getaways.
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For suggested destinations see: Golf Destinations- Mauritius