Oitavos Dunes was designed by American golf architect Arthur Hills and opened for play in 2001.
The course is located in sandy terrain near Lisbon.
Hills crafted a course that starts and finishes with holes that are framed by impressive umbrella pines, but also ventures into the bigger dunes nearer the coast to introduce some real links golf to the round
With generous fairways throughout, the course's main defence is the subtle shaping of the greens. Some holes have no greenside bunkering and others just a few- but the swales in the greens do a good job of deflecting the wayward ball...
Oitavos Dunes has hosted many championships over theyears including The Portugese Open, The European Seniors Tour, The Ladies European Tour, The Euopean Challenge Tour, The BMW Cup and The World Golf Team Challenge
The hotel at Oitavos Dunes is world class, making a very convenient 1-2 combination for stay and play
Notable holes include:
- the par 5 eighth hole which narrows to a green set in between dunes
- the lovely short par 3 ninth hole with elevated tees
- the short driveable par 4 eleventh which demands a decision on the tee
- the back to back par 3 fourteenth & fifteenth holes set in the most undulating dunesland
- the long par 4 eighteenth hole where the approach must be threaded between two large umbrella pines with little daylight between... ( see pic mid page)
Oitavos Dunes is a delightful resort style course with a mix of links like and parkland holes.
Any golf trip to Portugal should include Oitavos Dunes
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to Portugal to suit your group.
For itinerary suggestions please see Destinations: Portugal
For further information please enquire here: