Located high on the hills overlooking Palm Springs, Stone Eagle is routed through the most unlikely and unwelcoming golfing landscape I can imagine.
However, Tom Doak & his Renaissance team have sculpted a golf course that is clearly a level above it’s competitors.
Stone Eagle opened in 2005, and I was fortunate enough to play the course then. I was fascinated then, and nothing has changed.
Having since played most of Doak’s better courses world wide I still rank Stone Eagle in the upper echelon of his work.
There are no weak holes, and the dramatic terrain offers a variety with holes that turn every which way.
Some require carries to greens tucked behind gullies- the positioning of the greens in this landscape is a real feature of the course.
And those greens have enough movement to test anyone’s putting stroke.
The bunkering is a highlight- each hole is framed by delightfully artistic shaping that complements the rugged stone surroundings perfectly
I think the par 3's are outstanding- including the tricky short par 3 nineteenth hole
There is no rest- and no end to the fun- on one of the most entertaining courses I have ever played
The entire site is devoid of housing- there are houses on the property, but they are further down the mountain.
So the ambience of Stone Eagle is pure- it is just the golf course and the raw terrain it was carved out of- and all it just adds to the character of the course
Notable holes include:
- hole 1, a strong uphill par 4 with a tricky green- the beauty of the surrounding is overwhelming!
- hole 7, a long severely downhill par 3- the view over Palm Springs from the tee is awesome!
- hole 8, a superb par 5 with tee shot framed by 'blowouts' and bunkers and a teasing approach over a gully in front of the green
- hole 12, a world class par 3 (see pic top of page)
- hole 15, another strong par 3 over a gully
- hole 18, an epic long par 4 with dramatic green side bunkering
Stone Eagle GC is a private members course and as such only playable as a guest of a member.
It really is worth the effort of getting to know a member!
Highly recommended- a "Travelling Golfer must play!"
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to Palm Springs to suit your group. For itinerary suggestions please see Destinations: USA- Palm Springs
For further information please enquire here: