Deep in Victoria's Western District, Hamilton Golf Club was formed in 1896. It claims to be the oldest club in Victoria still operating on the same site.
Originally the club was established with a nine hole course, and parts of that course still feature in the modern layout.
In 1933 the course was extended to 18 holes with grass greens.
In 1963 the club purchased an adjoining 60 acres and employed Major Jock Whillians to design a championship layout.
The new course opened in 1973.
Since then the club has planted thousands of trees and added a complete new watering system
Our first impressions were of a very Australian parkland style course good enough to rival the better rural courses in Victoria.
Because many of the trees were planted in the '70's the course looks and plays younger than it's years.
The flowering gums and wattles framing the fairways make it an attractive golfing setting, indeed.
A number of the dogleg holes do not feature fairway bunkers- lines of play are determined solely by the native vegetation.
Accuracy is paramount off the tee!
Yet, it is noticeable that other holes feature wider playing corridors where the doglegs are protected by attractive clusters of bunkers.
I liked the variation.
It added to the experience!
Hamilton Golf Club boasts a number of interesting short doglegs, a couple of very good par 3's and a majestic par 5 to bring you home.
It is a serious golf course!
Notable holes include:
- hole 2, a tight dogleg par 4, where accuracy off the tee is vital!
- hole 3, a pretty downhill par 3 (see pic mid page)
- hole 5, a tight par 4 where players need to walk single file down the fairway..
- hole 6, a lovely mid length par 3
- hole 7 a graceful dogleg par 4 with a little more breathing room. Fairway bunkering protects the inside of the dogleg rather than tree trunks!
- hole 9, another tight tree lined dogleg par 4. It's just a nice hole!
- hole 13, a longer downhill par 3 to a raised green well protected by bunkers at the front
- hole 18, a strong par 5 to finish, with the uphill approach littered with bunkers. It's a nice finish.
Hamilton Golf Club is just a lovely Aussie golf experience.
We think it is one of the better country courses in Victoria, and well worth travelling to play.
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For suggested destinations see: Golf Destinations: Australia
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: