Elanora Country Club was formed in 1928.
Dan Soutar initially carved 9 holes out of the bush setting, to be followed by James Herd Scott with another nine soon thereafter.
More recently (2000), James Wilcher extensively redesigned the course.
Over the years Elanora Country Club has evolved into a very impressive club.
Golf is but one of a number of sporting facilities in the complex- bowls, croquet and tennis are also very well covered.
Add in a rather stylish old clubhouse and wonderful guest lodging and you have the complete package.
Elanora CC members are spoilt indeed!
Elanora boasts a really nicely groomed course carved out of the hills and bush north of Sydney.
We played a 12 v 12 match against the locals.
And we had a great sunset barbecue dinner with them to top off a lovely day.
We played off some longer tees the day after a heavy downpour.
The course was in pristine condition but on the day it was a longish course playing long.
A day for the longer hitters for sure!
The greens were immaculate, without as much break as other courses we have played this week, but rolling well.
I could imagine them playing even firmer and faster at times.
High in the hills Elanora boasts some spectacular vistas of Sydney’s northern beaches.
We stayed for a few days in the club’s well appointed accommodation and loved it.
Notable holes include:
- hole 1, a gentle opening par 4 uphill to a green with a huge boulder in the background
- hole 3, a classic short par 4. The bunkering here is a standout! (see pic mid page)
- hole 5, a pretty downhill par 3 to a very well bunkered green
- hole 9, a demanding dogleg par 4 with a tight landing area for the tee shot and an uphill approach
- hole 17, a short elegant par 3 surrounded by bush, rocks and one large stategically placed bunker
- hole 18, a strong closing par 4 with a narrow tee shot and an uphill approach to the final green and clubhouse beyond (see pic top of page)
Elanora Country Club is an experience.
It has a good course beautifully presented, nice accommodation, great meals and 'they even have some nice members!'
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For suggested destinations see: Golf Destinations- New South Wales
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: