Tobiano Golf Course is located just outside Kamloops in British Columbia. The course is set in desolate mountainous terrain abutting a large volume of water known as The Kamloops Lake reservoir.
The course opened in 2007, and was designed by Canadian architect Thomas McBroom who has fashioned an intimidating, exciting, picturesque course that twists and turns through the landscape challenging golfers with long carries over deep chasms, infinity greens overlooking the lake, and a routing that takes you off in all directions.
Tobiano (named after a multi coloured horse) is not really a walking course- to move from green to tee sometimes requires going down, up, through and around the gullies, and it would be a tough walk. Take a cart!
The whole experience reminds me a little of Wolf Creek near Las Vegas.
The course is beautifully maintained, and just great fun to play. But you must swallow your pride and play it off an appropriate tee. Play too far back and you will have a miserable day!
I thought Tobiano was quite wonderful, with a great combination of short and long par 4’s, playing with wind coming from different directions on different holes, some absolute world class holes, and very few weaknesses.
Perhaps my only criticism is the forward ladies tee on the par 3 seventeenth hole- 58 metres? What were they thinking?
Favourite holes include:
- the par 3 seventh hole over the chasm to a very shallow green. One of the scariest holes anywhere. The back tee is just ridiculous!
- the pretty par 3 third hole
- the long par 4 fifth hole with green in the gully
- the par 5 eighth hole with long carry off the tee over a chasm, and then a rolling doubt dogleg to a skyline green
- the par 3 twelfth hole
- the long par 5 thirteenth hole with chasm carry off the tee
- the short par 4 fourteenth with skyline green
- the par 3 fifteenth with lake background
- the par 3 seventeenth with tee on one side of the gully and the green on a ledge on the other…
Tobiano is a hoot to play. It is the perfect spot to stop on trips through the Rocky Mountains moving from Whistler to Jasper. And if you do stay on for dinner- the club put on a good meal.
Tobiano is a Travelling Golfer ‘must play’.
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf tour to Canada to suit your group.
For information on suggested itineraries please refer to Great Golf Destinations: Canada- Both Sides Now, and Canada: Rocky Mountain Highs.
For further information on golf tours to Canada please enquire here: